- Water Softener Salt
- Water Softener Salt Tablets 25kg
- Water Softener Salt Tablets 10kg
- Water Softener Salt Granules 25kg
- Water Softener Salt Granules 10kg
- Water Softener Block Salt
- Bulk Water Softener Salt Sales
- Pure Dried Vacuum Salt PDV
- De-Icing Rock Salt
- Water Softeners
- Salt for Swimming Pool Chlorine Generators
- Store Finder (Pay & Collect)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Soft Water Benefits
- Which Type of Softener Salt should I use?
- A Guide To Water Softening
- Hard Water Areas in the UK
- How a Water Softener Works
Shop with confidence... what are our customers saying about us
normally able to offer a quick turnaround of within a couple of days with some items available for next day delivery or same day collection.
How a Water Softener Works
A water softener works by passing the incoming hard water through a sealed container called a resin vessel, which contains literally thousands of little ion exchange resin beads.
These beads attract and retain any hardness in the water i.e. scale and scum, that causes so much damage to your system. When these beads become saturated with hardness, they need cleaning and regenerating for continued use. This is done by rinsing them with a weak solution of brine (salt and water).
The brine together with the previously collected hardness is then automatically flushed down the drain. This process takes place automatically as determined by the softener, with all the homeowner having to do is ensure the softener is kept full of salt. For this purpose we recommend that only tablet salt – available from a local plumber’s merchant – be used.
In conclusion therefore, salt does not soften the water. The resin cleans/softens the water and when required the salt cleans the resin. During the cleaning of the resin, the previously collected scale and scum is discharged automatically down the drain together with the salt.
At no time does the salt enter the water supply.