- Water Softener Salt
- Water Softener Salt Tablets 25kg
- Water Softener Salt Tablets 10kg
- Water Softener Salt Granules 25kg
- Water Softener Salt Granules 10kg
- Water Softener Block Salt
- Bulk Water Softener Salt Sales
- De-Icing Rock Salt
- Water Softeners
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Soft Water Benefits
- Which Type of Softener Salt should I use?
- A Guide To Water Softening
- Hard Water Areas in the UK
- Salt for Swimming Pool Chlorine Generators
- Store Finder (Pay & Collect)
normally able to offer a quick turnaround of within a couple of days with some items available for next day delivery or same day collection.
De-Icing Rock Salt
Taken all together, the UK has had a few good winters in a row recently. However, the weather service, the dodgy old almanacs and the arthritis in my knee all agree that this winter will be a cold one. Are you stocked up on de-icing salt? The first frost won’t be long now…
Water Softener Salt UKis also one of the top suppliers of de-icing salt in the UK, and we have everything you need to prepare for the cold weather to come. Better still, it is all available for free delivery to any home or business address nationwide.
How does salt melt ice?
As we already know, pure water (we’ll treat rain as pure even though we know better) freezes at 0oC. If that happens in the air, the result is usually snow. However, if a wet street or path gets down below zero overnight, the water and slush on it freezes into slick, solid ice.
However, if salt is spread out before it freezes, the salt dissolves into the water. The salty water (like the sea) won’t freeze until it gets much colder, and it doesn’t often get quite that cold here.
Even if the salt is spread on ice that is already frozen, the dark colour absorbs sunlight and causes the ice to melt just enough to dissolve the salt. It also acts as grit preventing slipping until the ice does melt.